Wednesday, January 25, 2012

FAVORITE BOOK MOMENT. :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“You are a terrible best friend,” I tell him. “Terrible! You totally ditch me every time you have a boyfriend, and then you come crawling back when you’re heartbroken. You don’t listen to me. You don’t even seem to like me. You get obsessed with the play and totally ignore me except to insult me to our friend behind my back, and you exploit your life and the people you say you care about so that your little play can make people love you and think how awesome you are and how liberated you are and how wondrously gay you are, but you know what? Being gay is not an excuse for being a dick. “But you’re one on my speed dial and I want you to stay there and I’m sorry I’m a terrible best friend, too, and I love you.”


“NO. No no no. I don’t want to screw you. I just love you. When did who you want to screw become the whole game? Since when is the person you want to screw the only person you get to love? It’s so stupid, Tiny! I mean, Jesus, who even gives a fuck about sex?! People act like it’s the most important thing humans do, but come on. How can our sentient fucking lives revolve around something slugs can do. I mean, who you want to screw and whether you screw them? Those are important questions, I guess. But they’re not that important. You know what’s important? Who would you die for? Who do you wake up at five forty-five in the morning for even though you don’t even know why he needs you? Whose drunken nose would you pick?!”


“When you date someone, you have the markers along the way, right: You kiss, you have The Talk, you say the Three Little Words, you sit on a swing set and break up. You can plot the points on a graph. And you check up with each other along the way: Can I do this? If I say this, will you say it back? “But with friendship, there’s nothing like that. Being in a relationship, that’s something you choose. Being friends, that’s just something you are.” I just stare out at the ball field for a minute. Tiny sniffles. “I’d pick you,” I say. “Fuck it, I do pick you. I want you to come over to my house in twenty years with your dude and your adopted kids and I want our fucking kids to hang out and I want to, like, drink wine and talk about the Middle East or whatever the fuck we’re gonna want to do when we’re old. We’ve been friends too long to pick, but if we could pick, I’d pick you.”


“Yeah, okay. You’re getting a little feelingsy, Grayson,” he says. 


“It’s kinda freaking me out.” “Got it.” “Like, don’t ever say you love me again.” 


“But I do love you. I’m not embarrassed about it.”


 “Seriously, Grayson, stop it. You’re making me throw up in the back of my mouth a little.”


I laugh.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Will Grayson Will Grayson is John Green and David Levithan's book collab. 
Deals with friendship, love, family, mindsets and random awesomeness.
Must read, swear. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment